The positive effects of moderate beer consumption
Beer, a universally-popular drink is an alcoholic beverage (approximately 5% alcohol) obtained from 4 natural products: brewer’s yeast, malt, hops and water. There are also non-alcoholic versions, which have an alcohol level between 0 and 0.5% alcohol. The notoriety of this drink is due to its sensory, nutritional and medicinal properties. Consumed in moderation, up to 330 ml/day for women and 660 ml/day for men, beer can have many benefits for the human body, thanks to its natural ingredients from which it is obtained. Beer cereals, especially barley, are an important source of protein, fiber and B vitamins. Hops, also known as green gold, are a source of antioxidants, and brewer’s yeast contains 17 vitamins, 14 minerals and 16 essential amino acids.
Drinking beer in excessive amounts has adverse effects such as induced allergies, increased plasma uric acid, a higher risk of cancer, dementia, obesity and deviant social behaviors. But let’s all enjoy the advantages and beneficial properties (summarized below) of this beloved drink for now.
- Cardioprotective effect, reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Role in modulating the functions of the immune system, by influencing the production and secretion of cytokines.
- Can counteract osteoporosis, thanks to humulone (bitter acid in beer), which strongly inhibits bone resorption, flavonoids in beer have an inhibitory effect on osteoporosis, and silicone can reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Prevents diabetes, thanks to phenols.
- Stimulates appetite and facilitates bowel motility in the elderly.
- Reduces the risk of urolithiasis.
- Reduces hot flashes and prevents postmenopausal osteoporosis in women.
- Protects against Helicobacter pylori infection.
- Improves social integration.
- Overall positive and relaxing effect.