Portion size matters!
If we want to lose weight or maintain our weight, it is very important that, in addition to what we eat, we also take care of how much we eat. It is very easy to put too much food on the plate and, in addition, the media and advertising constantly promote the idea of a hearty meal and plates filled to the brim as normal. That is why, unfortunately, most people do not know what a normal portion of food looks like.
So how much should we eat at a meal? As a general tip, a serving of fruits or vegetables should be around 80 grams. Nutrition experts recommend consuming about 5 such servings a day, from a wide range of vegetables and fruits. But what about the portion size of the other foods?
If you do not have a kitchen scale or do not always have time to weigh your portions, you can use your own hand to approximate as accurately as possible the amount of food you should eat at a meal. Of course, people with larger bodies will have larger portions, and in the case of children, the portions will be according to their hand.
To help you, we present below a list of portion sizes for different foods:
- White fish: whole palm, including fingers
- Raw spinach: two palms
- Berries: two cup-shaped palms
- Vegetables: the size of a clenched fist
- Raw pasta: the size of a clenched fist
- Walnuts: a cup-shaped fist
- Flesh: the size of the palm outside the fingers
- Potatoes: a clenched fist
- Goldfish: the size of a palm
- Butter: the tip of a finger
- Chocolate: the size of the index finger
- Cheese: as big as two fingers in length and width
- Cake or cake: two fingers